Chiropractic care is a form of medical treatment where the professional, called a chiropractor, uses their hands to relieve joints, bones, and muscle problems. Sometimes they may also use specialized medical tools.
Chiropractic care treats many symptoms, including relieving back pain, elbow pain, neck pain, shoulder pain, and pain from diseases and conditions such as Osteoarthritis. Although there isn’t much evidence, some studies have shown this treatment to treat other more severe conditions such as mental health problems, asthma, and allergy.
How to Prepare for Chiropractic Treatment
Any medical appointment is usually a little unsettling. You are expected to be fully open with the doctor and discuss some of your most personal issues.
If you are meeting with a Chiropractor for the first time, here are some things you can do to ensure you are ready;
• If you have any other medical documents, assemble them and be ready to give your new Chiropractor your complete medical records.
• Be mentally prepared and open-minded. You don’t want anything or any questions from your doctor to come as a shock. It will also help you relax and have an engaging and fruitful appointment.
• Get comfortable in terms of dressing. You may need to lie face up, face down, or on your side on a table during examinations. You may feel more comfortable in loose-fitting clothes.
• Be on time. Like any other medical appointment, you may need to fill in some documents or forms before seeing your doctor. For this reason, always arrive at least 15 minutes early to ensure your actual meeting with the doctor starts on time.
• To help you relax and be ready for your chiropractic adjustments, it is advisable to participate in activities that get your body moving and blood flowing. This may be a little workout or a walk.
What Happens During a Chiropractic Treatment
During your first appointment, your doctor will examine you to determine the type of treatment and the best techniques that are suitable for you and are most likely to help. Some of the techniques they use include;
• Spinal cord manipulation – this technique involves your Chiropractor using their hands to relieve pain in your back, neck, muscle, and joints in your spine by applying force on these areas.
• Slowly and gradually moving your muscles and joints into different positions
• They may pull or stretch your muscles to relieve pain, help in recovery, or improve flexibility
• Short and sharp thrusting movement techniques
Keep in mind you may feel a little uncomfortable during the treatment since it involves the professional pulling, pushing, or stretching of your muscles and joints beyond their natural range of motion. They do this by applying a sharp and sudden force which causes popping and cracking sounds as your joints and muscles move.
Benefits of Chiropractic Adjustments
• May help relieve headaches and migraines that are neck-related
• May help improve your posture
• Help relieve muscle and joint pains
• Treats minor muscle and neck injuries
• Improve flexibility
• Help reduce stress by decreasing tension on your muscles and joints and improving blood flow
• Improve athletic performance